Thursday, June 3, 2010

Summer's Here...So What Can We Do?


           Here we are, 3 days into summer and we have been on the go!  A trip to the lake this past weekend with friends, Soccer Skills classes for Sis, a visit to the library, one year photos for the baby, a trip to the vet with Chief, and a few trips to the pool.  And I thought we would actually be relaxing this summer!  ha!
           You all know me by now, so you know we have some fun plans already for the break.  Many of you participated in our Postcard Challenge last summer- our goal was to collect at least one postcard from every state...and we did it!!! Read about it here.
           So, how are we going to top that this year?  I have a few ideas up my sleeve:
        I am challenging my kids to the "100 Books of Summer Challenge".  Collectively, the two older and I are going to read 100 chapter books before school starts.  Each day, as Bubba naps in the afternoon, we read together for atleast 30 mins.....but it typically lasts longer. This shouldn't be too difficult, as the kids already have 4 read and we just started.  I'll be the slow-poke.




    
 Coming soon, I am hosting a flip flop exchange for moms AND kiddos.  I'd love to see this turn into a pen-pal for the summer thing with the kids.  We'll see how that works out.





          There is still tons of great things to do here around Austin that I am making the time for this summer.  Such as the dreaded trip to the Snake Farm (Brody has been asking for years to got there- my insides are clenching up just thinking about stepping foot in this place.....the things we do for our kids.).  We are also going to visit Lyndon B. Johnson's birthplace and ranch that he vacationed at while president.  And we'll top that off with a nice dip in Hamilton Pool.  A natural water hole that is amazing:
   

We are also traveling this summer.  The older 2 will head to Springfield, IL, home of Lincoln, to stay with the grandparents for a week and the hubby and I will drive up there to bring them home.  The kids and I will be staying up there for a few weeks, so we plan on doing lots of exciting things while there too, including a train trip up to Chicago maybe??  On the way home from Illinois, I plan on taking our time and finding some cool places to visit in Missouri and Arkansas.   If you live in either of these states, I'd love your suggestions!



Let's see, what else?



      How could I forget??  Hubby is SO very excited about the World Cup.  He is counting down the days.  (USA vs. England - June 12 2pm) I'm sure Sis will get involved too.  Meanwhile, she is taking soccer skills classes all summer that she LOVES.  Brody wants to take a golf camp again.



We have VBS in 2 weeks and I am so excited as I get to be a crewleader for 9 & 10 year old girls.  It has been WAY too long since I have been working with the kids at church, so I am really looking forward to this one.

And both older 2 are going to sleep-away camp with our church at the end of July- Sis went last year and loved it, so she talked Brody into going this year.  With his eating preferences, I'm sure he'll be eating bread all week.....


We plan on lots of fun trips to the lake and playing out on the boat.  We went this past weekend and the baby loved it.

And lastly, we plan on seeing lots of these all summer long:
Happy Smiles!!!!



12 comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

You've got all sorts of fun things planned!

Anonymous said...

oo yay they are going to have so much fun! Love The Blob!! Can't wait to hear about all of your trip/adventures :-)

Rhonda said...

Wow, you have a lot of fun things planned. We are getting ready to make our summer list! I'm still wating for school to get out!

Jen said...

You are SO much better organized than I am! Lol! I figure we'll go to the library, swim team practice and lessons every day for 7 weeks, camp out in the yard a few times (practice for next year maybe AWAY from the house!) and POSSIBLY a trip to Disney World in August - 'cause you had to go there and post all those pictures and get me JONESING to go! (Thanks a LOT Becca! Hee hee!)

I love Bubba in that last picture with all the girls :)

Jan said...

Summer isn't for sissies!
You go, girl!
Can't wait for your visit!

Darling's said...

Sounds like a lot of fun, especially the IL part ;-)

Kelli said...

Sounds like a really fun summer! Can't wait to see all of your adventures.

Lyndsay said...

Wow! I hope I am half as organized and cool as you are when my kids are old enough to do fun things during the summer!! Hope you have a great time.

AndreaLeigh said...

That sounds like so much fun. Don't you want to visit South Carolina? :) I have a spare room! LOL.

Connie said...

Fun!! Sound like a busy time!

Can't wait to hear more about the flip flop exchange!

J.J. said...

We have VBS in a couple weeks, too...however I am not haling out this year. Hubby is gone and I am getting ready for a trip to TX!!!!! I help out a lot during the year...and I can't do everything. At least that is what I keep telling myself.m :)

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor said...

Just found your blog through Tatertots & Jello! Love all of your ideas. I grew up in Austin (had to take a field trip to that very snake farm as a kid....yuck!). We now live an hour north of Austin but visit all the time! Love your blog and all of your fun ideas! I need to add you to my blog roll of idea blogs! ; )
Blessings & Hugs!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...